Cold weather has arrived which means it’s time to Raise the Roof.
The Pictou County Roots for Youth Society is gearing up for its annual Raise the Roof fundraising campaign.
The national campaign kicked off December 3 and a portion of the funds through the sale of the Raise the Roof toques will go toward Roots for Youth.
“Raise the Roof is a national organization, so through the sale of the toques, 60 per cent of the funds will go to us, Roots for Youth, and the remaining 40 per cent will go to Raise the Roof to combat homelessness across the country,” explains Courtney Cameron, youth worker.
This year, Roots for Youth have put a twist on the fundraiser.
“We have put a call out inviting all organizations and businesses to join in the campaign by taking part in a friendly competition,” says Cameron.
Businesses or organizations can sign up to take five, 10 or 20 toques to sell at their place of business as well as agree to start a conversation about youth homelessness.
“We want to see conversation about youth homelessness in the workplace and see the different businesses and organizations doing their best to sell the toques and even having their own small fundraising events,” she says.
The campaign will run through February 4, Toque Tuesday, when Roots for Youth will have a celebration announcing the winner and awarding the prize to the group that sells the most number of toques.
“Toque Tuesday is a national awareness day for homelessness and youth homelessness in Canada,” says Cameron. “Scotiabank has partnered with us a number of years and have agreed to partner with us again this year to sell the toques. For every toque they...